9617 Labourers in Food, Beverage and Tobacco Processing
Labourers in this unit group perform material handling, clean-up, packaging and other elemental activities related to food, beverage and tobacco processing. They are employed in fruit and vegetable processing plants, dairies, flour mills, bakeries, sugar refineries, meat plants, breweries and other food, beverage and tobacco processing plants.
View all titles
- bottle washer
- brewery labourer
- cigarette packer
- dairy helper
- food processing labourer
- meat packager
- potato chip sorter
- production helper
Labourers in food, beverage and tobacco processing perform some or all of the following duties:
- Transport raw materials, finished products and packaging materials throughout plant and warehouse manually, or with powered equipment
- Measure and dump ingredients into hoppers of mixing and grinding machines or mobile tank trucks
- Feed flattened boxes into forming machines to construct containers
- Remove filled containers from conveyors and manually pack goods into bags, boxes or other containers
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Feed and unload tobacco processing machines
- Check products and packaging for basic quality defects
- Assist process control and machine operators in performing their duties.
- Some secondary school education may be required.
- There is some mobility among occupations in this group.
- Labourers in food, beverage and tobacco processing may progress to machine or process operating positions with experience.
- Labourers in Fish Processing
- Process Control and Machine Operators, Food and Beverage Processing
- Tobacco Processing Machine Operators