7294 Painters and Decorators
Painters and decorators apply paint, wallpaper and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures. They are employed by construction companies, painting contractors and building maintenance contractors, or they may be self-employed.
View all titles
- construction painter
- maintenance painter
- painter and decorator
- painter and decorator apprentice
Painters and decorators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read specifications to determine quantities of materials required
- Prepare and clean surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning; remove old wallpaper and loose paint; repair cracks and holes in walls; and sandpaper and apply sealer
- Mix and thin paint to obtain desired colour and texture
- Apply paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating or fire retardant using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Measure, cut and apply wallpaper or fabric to walls
- Assemble and erect scaffolding and swing stages
- Advise customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings
- May provide cost estimates to clients.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
Over three years of work experience in the trade is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to qualified painters and decorators.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Red Seal trade certification allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Automotive painters
7322 Motor Vehicle Body Repairers
- Interior decorators
6421 Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks
- Painters and Coaters - Industrial
- Painters, Sculptors and Other Visual Artists
- Supervisors of painters and decorators
7219 Contractors and Supervisors, Other Construction Trades, Installers, Repairers and Servicers