Ironworkers fabricate, erect, hoist, install, repair and service structural ironwork, precast concrete, concrete reinforcing materials, curtain walls, ornamental iron and other metals used in the construction of buildings, bridges, highways, dams and other structures and equipment. They are employed by construction ironwork contractors.
View all titles
- ironworker – metal building systems erector
- ironworker apprentice
- ornamental ironworker
- reinforcing ironworker
- structural steel erector
Ironworkers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read blueprints and specifications to lay out work
- Unload and position steel units so each piece can be hoisted as needed
- Erect and install scaffolding, hoisting equipment and rigging
- Signal crane operator to position steel units according to blueprints
- Align and weld or bolt steel units in place
- Erect structural and architectural precast concrete components for buildings, bridges, towers and other structures
- Assemble and erect prefabricated metal structures
- Position and secure steel bars or metal mesh in concrete forms to reinforce concrete structures
- Install ornamental and other structural metalwork such as curtain walls, metal stairways, railings and power doors
- Examine structures and equipment for deterioration, defects or non-compliance with specifications
- Dismantle structures and equipment when required.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program
Over three years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in ironworking are usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and Alberta and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to qualified ironworkers.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Red Seal trade certification allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Structural Metal and Platework Fabricators and Fitters
- Supervisors of ironworkers
7214 Contractors and Supervisors, Metal Forming, Shaping and Erecting Trades