4142 Elementary School and Kindergarten Teachers
Elementary school and kindergarten teachers teach basic subjects such as reading, writing and arithmetic or specialized subjects such as English or French as a second language at public and private elementary schools. Elementary school librarians are included in this unit group.
View all titles
- French immersion teacher – elementary school
- elementary school teacher
- elementary school teacher, English as a second language
- elementary school teacher, French as a second language
- kindergarten teacher
- librarian, elementary school
- primary school teacher
- remedial teacher – elementary school
- special education teacher – elementary school
- supply teacher – elementary school
Elementary school and kindergarten teachers perform some or all of the following duties:
Elementary school and kindergarten teachers may specialize in such areas as special education or second language instruction.
- Prepare courses for presentation to students according to approved curriculum
- Teach students using a systematic plan of lessons, discussions, audio-visual presentations and field trips
- Lead students in activities to promote their physical, mental and social development and their school readiness
- Assign and correct homework
- Prepare, administer and correct tests
- Evaluate the progress of students and discuss results with students, parents and school officials
- Identify children's individual learning needs
- Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help
- Participate in staff meetings, educational conferences and teacher training workshops
- May supervise teachers' aides and student teachers.
- A bachelor's degree in education is required.
- Additional training is required to specialize in special education or second language instruction.
- A provincial teaching certificate is required. Additional certification is required to teach English or French as a second language.
- Progression to education consultant or school principal is possible with experience.
- Early Childhood Educators and Assistants
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Assistants
- School Principals and Administrators of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Secondary School Teachers
- Teachers teaching life skills to persons with disabilities
4215 Instructors and Teachers of Persons with Disabilities