3223 Dental Technologists, Technicians and Laboratory Bench Workers
Dental technologists and technicians design, prepare and fabricate dentures and dental devices as prescribed by dentists and other specialists. Dental laboratory bench workers assist dental technologists and technicians in preparing and fabricating dentures and other dental devices. They are employed in dental laboratories. Supervisors of dental technologists and technicians are also included in this unit group.
View all titles
- ceramic denture moulder
- dental laboratory bench worker
- dental technician
- dental technician supervisor
- dental technologist
- denture finisher
- denture wax pattern former
- orthodontic band maker
- registered dental technician
- registered dental technologist
Dental technologists and technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Design, fabricate or repair dental devices including full or partial dentures, crowns, bridges, inlays, onlays, clasps and bands, and implants
- May consult with dentists or other specialists on problematic dental cases
- May train and supervise other dental technicians or dental laboratory bench workers in fabricating dentures and other dental devices
- May perform supervisory and administrative functions for the dental laboratory.
Dental laboratory bench workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare plaster models and moulds from dental impressions
- Prepare wax bite-blocks and impression trays
- Cast gold or metal alloys for bridges and denture bases
- Pack plastic material in moulds to form full or partial dentures
- Mould wax over denture set-up to form full contours of artificial gums
- Make orthodontic bands from gold, silver, stainless steel or other metals
- Finish metal framework of dentures and polish and buff dentures to obtain natural finish.
- Dental technologists and technicians are required to complete a college program in dental technology
Four or more years of on-the-job training under the supervision of a registered dental technologist or technician.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required for dental technologists and technicians in all provinces except in Manitoba.
- Dental laboratory bench workers usually require secondary school and up to two years of on-the-job training.
- Dental laboratory bench workers may progress to dental technologists and technicians positions with training, experience and registration.
- Dental Assistants
- Dental Hygienists and Dental Therapists