8432 Nursery and Greenhouse Workers
Nursery and greenhouse workers plant, cultivate and harvest trees, shrubs, flowers and plants, and serve nursery and greenhouse customers. They are employed in indoor and outdoor nurseries and greenhouses.
View all titles
- forest nursery worker
- greenhouse worker
- horticulture worker
- hothouse worker
- hydroponics worker
- nursery worker
Nursery and greenhouse workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare soil; plant bulbs, seeds and cuttings; graft and bud plants; and transplant seedlings and rooted cuttings
- Spray trees, shrubs, flowers and plants to prevent disease and pests
- Position and regulate greenhouse and outdoor irrigation systems to water plants and fields
- Dig, cut and transplant trees, shrubs, flowers and plants and prepare them for sale
- Provide information to customers on gardening and the care of trees, shrubs, flowers, plants and lawns
- May operate tractors and other machinery and equipment to fertilize, cultivate, harvest and spray fields and plants
- Maintain inventory and order materials as required
- Clean working area.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Completion of college courses in horticulture or a related field may be required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- A provincial licence to apply chemical fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides and pesticides may be required.
- Progression to supervisory positions, such as greenhouse supervisor, is possible with experience.
- General Farm Workers
- Harvesting Labourers
- Landscaping and Grounds Maintenance Labourers
- Nursery and Greenhouse Operators and Managers
- Silviculture and Forestry Workers
- Supervisors, Landscape and Horticulture