6663 Janitors, Caretakers and Building Superintendents
Janitors, caretakers and building superintendents clean and maintain the interior and exterior of commercial, institutional and residential buildings and their surrounding grounds. Building superintendents employed in large establishments are responsible for the operation of the establishment and may also supervise other workers. They are employed by office and apartment building management companies, condominium corporations, educational institutions, health care facilities, recreational and shopping facilities, religious establishments, and industrial and other establishments.
View all titles
- building caretaker
- building superintendent
- heavy-duty cleaner
- industrial cleaner
- plant cleaner
- school janitor
Janitors, caretakers and building superintendents perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate industrial vacuum cleaners to remove scraps, dirt, heavy debris and other refuse
- Wash windows, interior walls and ceilings
- Empty trash cans and other waste containers
- Sweep, mop, scrub and wax hallways, floors and stairs
- Clean snow and ice from walkways and parking areas
- Cut grass and tend grounds
- Clean and disinfect washrooms and fixtures
- Make adjustments and minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing and electrical systems, and contact tradespersons for major repairs
- Perform other routine maintenance jobs such as painting and drywall repair
- May water and tend to plants
- May move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies
- Ensure that security and safety measures are in place in the establishment
- May advertise vacancies, show apartments and offices to prospective tenants and collect rent
- May supervise other workers.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Some occupations in this unit group require previous cleaning and maintenance experience.
- A journeyman/woman certificate in one or more of the trades or a building operator certificate may be required for building superintendents.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience.
- Cleaning Supervisors
- Light Duty Cleaners
- Specialized Cleaners