4121 University Professors
University professors teach courses to undergraduate and graduate students and conduct research at universities and degree-granting colleges. University professors who are heads of departments are included in this unit group.
View all titles
- English professor
- assistant professor, botany
- associate professor, linguistics
- chairperson, food sciences department
- chairperson, physics department
- department head, geography
- lecturer – university
- professor of computer science
- professor of medicine
- university instructor, engineering
- university professor
University professors perform some or all of the following duties:
University professors specialize in a particular subject matter such as biology, chemistry, anatomy, sociology, business administration or law.
- Teach one or more university subjects to undergraduate and graduate students
- Prepare and deliver lectures to students and conduct laboratory sessions or discussion groups
- Prepare, administer and grade examinations, laboratory assignments and reports
- Advise students on course and academic matters and career decisions
- Direct research programs of graduate students and advise on research matters
- Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books
- May serve on faculty committees dealing with such matters as curriculum planning and degree requirements, and perform a variety of administrative duties
- May represent their universities as speakers and guest lecturers
- May provide professional consultative services to government, industry and private individuals.
- A doctoral degree in the field of specialization is required.
- Licences or professional certification may be required for professors teaching future practitioners in certain professionally regulated fields, such as medicine, engineering, architecture, psychology or law.
- University professors who are also practitioners in their field of specialization must have the appropriate licences or certification.
- Progression to senior positions within a department, faculty or university is possible with experience.
- Administrators - Post-Secondary Education and Vocational Training
- College and Other Vocational Instructors
- Post-Secondary Teaching and Research Assistants