2252 Industrial Designers
Industrial designers conceptualize and produce designs for manufactured products. They are employed by manufacturing industries and private design firms or they may be self-employed.
View all titles
- furniture designer
- industrial design consultant
- industrial designer
- industrial products designer
- product designer
Industrial designers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Consult with client, engineers or production specialists to establish product requirements
- Analyze the intended use of product and user preferences
- Conduct research into cost, properties of production materials and methods of production
- Prepare design concepts, sketches or models for approval
- Prepare manufacturing drawings, specifications and guidelines for production and construct prototype of design
- Consult with engineers and production staff during manufacturing stage.
- A university degree in industrial design, architecture, engineering
A college diploma in industrial design is required.
- Creative ability, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, is required.
- There is mobility between positions in this unit group.
- Mobility is possible to other design occupations.
- Architectural Technologists and Technicians
- Civil engineering design technologists
2231 Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Electrical and electronics design technologists
2241 Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Engineering design and drafting technicians and technologists
2253 Drafting Technologists and Technicians
- Graphic Designers and Illustrators
- Interior Designers
- Mechanical engineering equipment designers
2232 Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Theatre, Fashion, Exhibit and Other Creative Designers