0211 Engineering Managers
Engineering managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of an engineering department, service or firm. They are employed by a wide range of private sector and government establishments and by consulting engineering and scientific research companies.
View all titles
- director, engineering research and development
- electrical engineering service manager
- engineering department manager
- engineering manager
- manager, telecommunications engineering service
- production engineering manager
Engineering managers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities and operations of an engineering department, service or firm
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department, service, laboratory or firm
- Consult and negotiate with clients to prepare specifications, explain proposals and present engineering reports and findings
- Assign, co-ordinate and review the technical work of the department or project teams
- Recruit personnel and oversee development and maintenance of staff competence in required areas
- May participate directly in the design, development and inspection of technical projects or in the engineering work of the department.
- A bachelor's degree in engineering or a college diploma in engineering technology is required.
- Extensive experience in an engineering discipline, including supervisory experience, is required.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers or certification as an engineering technologist (CET) is usually required.
- Mobility to other technical managerial positions or to research or senior management positions is possible with experience.
- Architecture and Science Managers
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Construction Managers
- Engineers and supervisors of engineers
21 Professional Occupations in Natural and Applied Sciences
- Manufacturing Managers
- Transportation Managers
- Utilities Managers